Wednesday, January 14, 2009

UES newbie.

140109

I am officially in school for one week and I join UES. Uplands Environmental Society. Its cool. People here are friendly and its easy to just join activities getting to know everyone. But in the beginning it was a little mad rushing here and there. PE today and it was EXHAUSTING. hockey I don't like one bit. But still, running around chasing a bigger-than-golf-ball ball with a stick? Yea, pretty fun. Haha.

SO. I was actually unsure whether to attend todays meeting, cause like, I wasn't sure I could get a seat on the late bus? But turns out, all is well and all you gotta do is just SHOW UP. Lol....so muct for systematic-ness of uplands. So anyway, I stayed back and didn't regret it one bit :D

First, this girl, I'm guessing Year13? She's Suzie, and the BOSS of UES. She's a tad bossy, but totally in a good way. We start of by collecting these bottles for recycling. WOW. first day and we jump into the work already? sweet. We broke up into groups, some collecting the bottles, other.....i'm not so sure? cause I like joined the bottle-collecting people. So here's my side of the UES meeting. The guys drag this cute container thing CONTAINING endless mounds of bottles, we go into the art room, dump them all into the sink and start washing them. Some of them are oily and have plastic stuffed into them EW. But gotta get our hands dirty! *roll up sleeves* We wash. then separate Ice Lemon Tea bottles & 100 Plus bottles into two different bags. Ice Lemon tea and other juices in Michael's big black rubbish bag & everything else in Ivan's bag. why we did this? I do not have a clue. And still don't, mind you. gotta ask Wen Lu y. So after all the hard work with water, we take them to the workshop to get them drilled with holes. Mark drills holes in bottle cap. Michael does the bottles. I try to do both and personally, drilling holes in bottle caps are teeny bit scary. teeny bit. :P hey! I've never done it before ok? and the drill like comes real close to ur finger *shivers* so anyway I opt for helping Mark transfer drilled caps back to the table and un-drilled caps for him to be drilled.

Time flies. An hour passes by and we're done for the day! *phew* after-hockey-exhaustion is starting to kick in. We keep everything in big black plastic bags......for next week? maybe. And Suzie the boss reminds us about Newspaper week thats gonna happen after the holidays. I'm looking forward to that. Doing environmental stuff makes me feel good :) ok. Bus arrives. I hop on bus. Time I reached home 5.15pm. ARGH. its like I live in school. Not that thats bad :P Will upload pics next time when I get them from either Ivan or Poo. ciao ppl!

Ernie

No comments:

Post a Comment