Monday, July 27, 2009

Dance - meeting

120709

Today I met Katharine and Afhan, the two people I am going to work with on this dance choreography workshop and she explains everything to me. A long long time ago, I met Aida, and she specializes in dance. However, due to her senior status, people in the Ombak Ombak group (a group of dancers) constantly rely on her for the support of choreography. Feeling like the younger generation lacks in experience in this area to have the confidence to choreograph their own pieces, they hold this workshop to sustain the culture of dance in them so that this form of dance would not die out as Aida retires.

After the explanation of what contemporary dance is, meaning it is more of movement than actually constructed physical positions, this made the definition of dance more abstract-like. This was a chance for me to breakout of my ballet and structured dance that I have been learning all my life.

She also introduced me to the Gostan Forward performance conducted by Marion D'Cruz a well known contemporary dancer known for her works hidden with messages. This was to be held on 26 July.
We planned our schedule and proceeded to carry out rehearsals the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment